RCA’s annual Astronomy Fair is loosely allied with Astronomy Day (May 14), but since May's skies are often too cloudy to reliably host a star party, we have turned our celebration into a club information fair. All the special interest groups will be there with displays and people to meet. The usual services — telescope library and sales table — will be open, and the always-popular swap meet will be in full force.
In addition, five club members will share their skills and knowledge in short show-and-tell sessions.
- How to find things in the sky using atlases, planespheres, star-hopping and other techniques by Ken Hose.
- Earning observing certificates, the how and why, by Margaret McCrea
- Using your DSLR for astro-photography by Craig Hlady.
- My years at Astronomy Magazine by Richard Berry. Bring a shopping bag to take a few nostalgic old magazines home.
- Light pollution walkabout with Dawn Nilson.
It’s a chance to learn more about our club, learn more about astronomy, and talk to people you haven’t had a chance to meet yet. Let’s have some fun!