This event has been Cancelled due to poor weather conditions.
We are trying out the The Oregon Raceway Park in Grass Valley as a private club star party as a possible place for overnight winter observing sessions.
We hope a good number of members can go out there to give it a try. If all goes well, we’ll try to build a relationship with the Raceway that will stand us in good stead.
Please let us know if you are interested in being part of the inaugural team at this location by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Easy drive to get there: I-84 east to Biggs, Hwy 97 south 30 miles to Grass Valley, turn left on North Street, two miles to the Raceway. Turn left at the only anything you will see along that road.
2. Huge, flat parking lot to set up on: no tripping over sage brush, no stumbling on gravel, and there’s plenty of room for set up.
3. Amazing 360° flat unobstructed horizon.
4. No urban lights or obtrusive farm lights or any lights of any sort at all.
5. The bathrooms are clean, modern and large. They look like hotel bathrooms. They even have showers.
6. The $5 gate fee is manageable to most of us, and we have to sign an Oregon Raceway waiver when we pay the $5 gate fee.
7. Expect to be cold: dress for skiing, bring extra. And it might be windy.
8. Dew conditions were not especially good and by morning, everything was soaked. Bring your dew shield.
9. There is no electricity, except a few outlets, but it’s $20 to plug in. No running water, except in the bathrooms. No Wifi, and limited cell service, possibly only Verizon.
10. It’s a half hour drive back to Biggs for gas, restaurant, motel.
11. Weather conditions rule. There’s always the chance of cancelation.
If our November experiment goes well, we’ll schedule another one for next February, to try the same location under different seasonal conditions. Even if we have to cancel, we’ll schedule for February.
PS: For the moment, this is not like Stub. We do not have permission to show up at will, or call and make personal arrangements.