Curious about astronomy? Don’t know where to start or have a burning question that you’d love to find an answer for? Wonder where you can go to hear about cutting edge space science and astronomy from visiting and local experts throughout the year? Come talk to us about all aspects of astronomy and see what it takes to make astronomical observations yourself. All facets of our 1000+ person club will be on display, with interactive activities, demonstrations, and short presentations on a variety of topics. Some topics you’ll be able to explore are
- I am a complete beginner. What do I need to start exploring the night sky?
- What do you need to take quality pictures of objects in the night sky?
- The sky is big and astronomical objects look very small. How do I find the amazing objects that I’ve heard about with my telescope? (It isn’t as easy as you might think.)
- Is there affordable technology that can make what I see through a telescope look more like images from the Hubble Space Telescope? (The answer is “Yes!”)
- Are there programs that can help me learn about interesting astronomical objects and help me develop my skills as an observer?
- What does it take to make observations that contribute to scientific research?
- Where can I find people who I can talk to about astronomy and space science and who are as enthusiastic about space as I am?
- Is it possible to have experts come and provide a telescopic tour of the night sky for my group or at my event. (The answer is “Yes!”)
The Fair will also provide an opportunity to purchase, sell, or trade the equipment needed for observing. Our telescope library will be selling a large quantity of high-quality, gently-used gear and the only vendor of serious astronomy equipment in the State of Oregon, the Oregon Observatory at Sunriver, will be visiting and bringing their inventory of new equipment for sale. We will also be holding a swap meet where anyone can buy, sell, or trade astronomy gear. This is a great opportunity to get set up before the skies clear and the observing season begins.
Also the Book Library will be having a sale — bring quarters!
We love sharing our passion for astronomy and we’d love to share it with you. Hope to see you there!
Location: OMSI Auditorium (adjacent to Planetarium)
Doors open at 7.
New Members Orientation at 6:30 in the OMSI Planetarium