The Observatory is currently shut down during renovations, which are expected to be completed at the end of this year.
Through a partnership with Clackamas Community College, RCA maintain the Haggart Observatory located at the John Inskeep Environmental Learning Center on the CCC campus in Oregon City. To offer the public a unique opportunity to access this rare community resource, RCA opens the observatory on "Public Nights" to members of the general public.
Haggart Observatory, Clackamas Community College,
Clackamas Community College, Oregon CIty
On most Public Nights RCA members will also set telescopes up in a nearby parking lot for guests to look through before and after their trip up to the Observatory.
Please NOTE: call 503-594-6044 Option 1 after 3:00 p.m. on the day of the event for a recorded announcement about the status of the night's event. Scheduled Public Nights might be cancelled on account of:
- Poor sky conditions - generally any forecast for skys that are not at least "mostly clear".
- A lack of volunteers to open and coordinate the event.
- Other circumstances affecting the safety of RCA volunteers and visiting guests.
If you plan on attending one of these Public Nights, please pay attention to the following:
There is no registration or charge, just show up and enjoy the views through the telescopes.
Depending on the number of people showing up at any one time, you may have to wait your turn to view through the main telescope - and your viewing time may be limited in order to give others waiting a similar opportunity.
You will have to be physically able to climb stairs to reach the observing deck and a ladder to actually view through the telescope. Wear shoes without heels.
Please DO NOT bring flashlights of any kind. There is adequate local light to see the path to the observatory and climb the stairs.
Limited parking is located directly across from the observatory and in nearby lots.
Click on the Haggart Clear Sky Chart above to look at the prediction we generally rely on when making our decision whether or not to cancel an event based on sky conditions.
From 1-205 (either direction) :
- Take Exit 10 ("Park Place") onto Highway 213 headed east (towar ds Molalla)
- Continue on Hwy 213 for about 3 miles up the canyon to the intersection with Beavercreek Road
- Turn left onto Beavercreek Road (heading east)
- At the second stop light, t urn right - onto Clackamas Commun ity College Campus.
- Turn right at the stop sign onto South Douglas Loop Road
- Turn right at the first road (Inskeep Drive)
- Park in one of the lots on your left and wa lk across the street into the Environmenta l Learning Center and follow the signs to the Observato ry
Other information about Haggart Observatory:
Groups and organizations interested in scheduling a private event at the Observatory should contact the RCA Haggart Observatory Coordinator
RCA Members should check out the Haggart Observatory section of the RCA Forum about how and when members can schedule personal use of the Observatory.
If you have any further question, contact the RCA Haggart Observatory Coordinator via email: email@example.com